Day 110 – “Kicking the Habbit”

Tuesday, 13 March 2007
Day 110 / 33 (59) – “Kicking the Habbit”


I was watching a future Prison Break Episode (Episode 10) today. One of the characters asks another: “Do you think there is a part of you that enjoys this? Being on the run and the danger and the fear and the rush and all that? It feels to me like chasing a high!”

Saying I’m an addict on this blog sometimes, I tend to classify myself as heroin addict alone. I look at other drugs and although I’ve been addicted to most of them before, after heroin they all seem like childsplay. I look at alcohol and it doesn’t seem like a problem taking a sip, drinking one. I mean, I’m a heroin addict right!?

Looking back on my life I’ve been addicted many times in my life. I’ve been addicted to gambling, to drinking, to taking drugs, hell probably even sex. I’ve been addicted to people to places, to so many things.

I’ve been addicted to the rush, to the thrill – to the high! The mission of planning, getting and organizing sometimes surpassed the feeling of the drugs themselves. I guess I still find myself addicted to that part. It is scary looking at it like that. Could staying away from drugs actually be the easy part? I know what to avoid and who to avoid to make sure my path stays clear from drugs. But around me at this very moment are all these other things that can eventually put me back at Square one – without even coming close to drugs.

Somebody pointed out to me today that the best way to get over a bad habit is to get addicted to a good one. And I don’t think that there is better proof than I am today. I got addicted to this blogging thing a long time ago. This good blogging habbit helped me to quit the bad heroin habbit and for that I am grateful.

If there is a part of me that enjoys it - the run, the danger, the fear, the rush and the high then I guess my problems are only beginning, aren’t they?

0 comments: