"Day 5 in Rehab"

Tuesday, 6 May 2008
Rehab - "Day 5 in Rehab"


Rehab, 5 April 2008...

It is Saturday and no activities or lectures were planned for the day. Instead we get a chance to get to know the other alchies and druggies a bit better.

Yesterday, 9 people completed their treatment and left the centre. I only briefly met all of them and found that I actually went to school with one of them. Half of the group that left was girls and 3 of the guys were gay.

At first I thought I had terrible luck being the only gay guy left behind in the clinic but figured I could use it to my advantage. Every crowd needs the gay guy anyway, just as every crowd has the bitchy one and most definitely the sexy one. In my opinion Michael* was the sexy one. At first I thought he would be one of those people whose looks ruined their personalities but after sitting down and talking to him a bit I realized just how down to earth he is.

After the group left yesterday, Bernice* and Jodi* were the only two girls left. Jodi is also in the clinic for spiking heroin and I felt closeness to her from the start. Bernice has a beautiful 18 year old son and you would never guess her age just by looking at her. Then again, speaking to her you realize she has a lot of wisdom that came through years of hurt and pain.

I spent most of the day getting to know my new friends, especially Darrell (codeine) and Matt (heroin) whom I came in with. There is a level of understanding amongst us all. Our stories are different, the drugs we took and the ways we got them may vary slightly but in the end we can all relate to each other.

Later the day we have the weekly braai and everybody’s families come to visit. It has only been 5 days and already it feels like a lifetime that I’ve been away from my family. The guild of my actions hovers over me and I know that there are an infinite amount of problems and relationships to sort out when I go back. My parents can’t come and visit me now but I think I like it that way. This way they’ll only see me after 25 days and hopefully the change will then be crystal clear.

I think if they were in my head right now they’d probably already see the vast difference.

0 comments: