"Day 6 in Rehab"

Thursday, 8 May 2008
Rehab - "Day 6 in Rehab"


Rehab, 6 April 2008...

It is somewhere around six. I don’t have a watch but I know it is still early. The nurse brings me my pain medication and hands me a cup for a urine test. I know random tests are normal and so is getting tested after 6 days so I don’t even give it another thought.

The nurse brings me new bedding and tell me I’m moving into ‘The Penthouse’. They call it the Penthouse because it is the biggest room and furthest away from the nurses office. This is normally the last room you move to after a few weeks but I seemed to skip a few steps. I started packing my stuff and one of my room mates whispered something in my ear…

Apparently, somebody told the nurses that Matt (heroin patient that booked in same day as me) and I smoked weed in the bathrooms. I started laughing, anybody that knew me would know I don’t waste my time with weed, but then again people here didn’t know me yet. Suddenly the urine tests this morning didn’t seem so random.

Both Matt and I were tested the morning and of course it came out negative. Matt was determined to find out who were spreading the rumours and Darrell (codeine patient that booked in the same day as me), KC* (funniest boertjie you could ever meet), Matt and I waited in his room while he showered. When he came walking into his room and saw all of us he nearly sh#t himself. He was only there for a few days and already he made more enemies than friends. He had this cocky attitude about him that seem to scream that he didn’t want to be there and people like that just made life difficult for the rest of us.

Of course, his story was that he heard it somewhere else and that someone disappeared over night. It didn’t really matter. We knew and proved the truth – still it gives you a bad aftertaste and it was clear this would only be the beginning of our trouble with him.

0 comments: