Day 116 – “Subutex”

Monday, 19 March 2007
Day 116 / 39 (59) – “Subutex”


Subutex, is used to treat opioid dependence. Its main purpose is to prevent withdrawal symptoms, by stimulating the opiate receptors in the brain. It has a greater attraction to the opiate receptors than heroin, which reduces or removes the desire to take heroin. Subutex binds so tightly to the opiate receptors, that taking heroin will have little or no effect.

Subutex was my saviour. Without it I would have given up a long time ago. It helped me to get through the already bad withdrawal symptoms and more importantly insured the recovery wasn’t life threatening. It is not cheap medicine and I took it way too long (as you also get dependant on it) but it got me off heroin – and that is what is important!

Taking Subutex was a sort of insurance that I would not be taking heroin that day. It takes away some of the desire to take heroin, makes finding a vain much more difficult and if you should take heroin while on Subutex the effect is minimum.

I remember waking up some days and as soon as I opened my eyes I knew I was going to take heroin. It was like the thought played in my head the whole night and as soon as I opened my eyes the yearning for heroin was there. My mind went in overdrive and all I thought about was how to score. On those days I didn’t take Subutex because I knew it would spoil the experience. Other times I took Subutex in the morning with no intend to take heroin during the day – but the urge to have the real thing got too big and I took heroin anyway. Even just a hint of that feeling was enough to risk it!

Of course, my parents soon learned that Subutex not only helped with withdrawal but helped me to stay away from taking heroin. According to them I never took heroin if I had subutex in my system – I mean, what was the use, right?! So, every morning they came to me and watched as I put the pill under my tongue and waited for it to dissolve. They could sleep at night – their boy was safe.

I don’t need to tell you that if there is a way around it, an addict will find it. I got anti-depressants from my doctor which, if broken in half looked very similar to the subutex pill. I even filed the edges off the pill to give it more of the appearance of the Subutex pill. So, every morning my mom would come to check up on me to make sure I took the Subutex pill never knowing it was something completely different.

I got away with this for quite a number of months. As long as I took that pill they thought they had nothing to worry about – which meant they let me out of the house. And if I came back and looked a bit off – I could always just blame it on the Subutex. It was perfect!

I’m very cautious to refer to the things I did in a positive sense. I don’t want to seem to ever brag about how I got away with it – as I said before that would be in very bad taste. I am sharing this information with you because you might have a loved one busy filing the edges of anti-depressant pills – fooling you!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
on
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.