Day 121 – “Farewell to Addiction (by Daniel L)”

Saturday, 24 March 2007
Day 121 / 44 (59) – “Farewell to Addiction (by Daniel L)”


So goodbye old friends. I will remember the good times I had with all of
you. Because there were some good times. It is the nature of our
relationship that I will forever strive to forget. And of all of you, a
very special goodbye to you, my inspiration in liquid form.

I cringe at saying your name, but yes, you, alcohol. It was our little
secret for a long time, wasn't it? Even when you started betraying me, I
still wanted to trust you, I still turned to you. I loved you so much, my
secret lover. In you, and with you, I found warmth and affection, euphoria
and arousal.

Even when we were apart, I thought of you, felt you inside me, craved for
you. You had this funny way of transforming yourself into whatever it was I wanted. You became strength, laughter, confidence and patience. I now know our relationship was doomed from the start. You made me blind with lust and
love for you, and in the end, you deserted me.

I feel I could write about you, to you, for hours. But I really wish for
you to go away now. I know you'll be hiding around the corner, calling me once in a while. But please hear this old friend: There is no longer a
place left for you in my life. I make a conscious choice to forsake you,
for eternity. I have found a new lover; Serenity and a daily quest for
honesty and simplicity.

And so, old friend, I am done with you.

Sincerely,
Daniel L.
Northern Ontario, 2004

P.S: I left a large chunk of my heart with you over the years. And one
day, when I am stronger, I will be back to reclaim it. It never belonged to
you in the first place.

0 comments: