Day 84/7 – “Good times, Bad times”

Thursday, 15 February 2007 – Day 84/7 – “Good times, Bad times”

I’m still not sure what it was that started me thinking – but I thought about it a lot last night. How you can’t experience, appreciate, sometimes even notice the good things that happen in your life if you haven’t experienced the bad ones. After all, it is the bad ones that essentially give definition to the good ones. If everything was just good times – we’d just call them ‘times’! It is the fact that we can experience bad times that make the good ones so much more rewarding, so much more real.

So, I ask myself the question. Would I take anything back? Would I do anything differently? You ask a recovering heroin addict that and you’d assume that ‘Yes’ will boom from his vocal cords while his head nod in unison. But I’m still not so sure what to answer.

I read a piece once how somebody compared the baking of a cake to ones life. How, if you offered somebody raw eggs or flower or sugar they’d probably just look at you funny. On its own the ingredients don’t make much sense. It is only when you put them together that you start to bake a cake. And with a cake you’ll tempt much more people than you would with raw eggs.

So, what I’m getting at is that I can’t begin to understand what all these ingredients in my life will end up as. Perhaps I’ve misjudged a few ingredients or skipped some of it completely. I can only hope that my bad times, in the end served for some better purpose, in my own or somebody else’s life.

It is an expensive price to pay, monetary, physically, mentally, definitely emotionally. And if it was the ingredients to something that would ultimately turn out as one of the ‘good times’ – then I shouldn’t want to change, should I?!

0 comments: