Day 88/11 – “Pandora’s Box”

Monday, 19 February 2007 - Day 88/11 – “Pandora’s Box”

Pandora’s Box. Many know this Greek myth and it has many interpretations. As I know the myth of Pandora, she was given many different traits or gifts from the various gods. The gift or trait she got from Zeus was insatiable curiosity and mischievousness. It doesn’t matter what version of the myth you know, one thing is always the same, it was her avid curiosity that led her to open the box and release misery and evil on mankind destroying paradise.

Her name means ‘all gifted’ as she was given many different gifts and traits by the gods. In much the same way I was given a good life and my curiosity led me to open that box a long time ago releasing evil and misery into my own life.

I imagine we had the same hunger for experimenting, for trying new things, knowing more or knowing better. I imagine she left that box open letting evil spread for a long time before realizing what she had done, much the same as I did. She closed the box but the evil she led out could not be put back in.

She did one thing right – she closed the box before “hope” could escape. So, in much the same way I trust I did the same. Even with all this misfortune in my life I’d like to think that this box – this very same box that led me to destroy the lives of the people I loved – contained hope as well! Hope that I can be strong. Hope that I can fight. Hope that all can be paradise again!

0 comments: