Day 90/13 – “The Postbox (Part 2)”

Wednesday, 21 February 2007 – Day 90/13 – “The Postbox (Part 2)”


Continues from Part 1…


Some of the dealers stayed across from me, but they weren’t always available. There was a time we had to get the heroin from the runner about 4 km’s from my house. That made quickly running across the street and scoring impossible. But I had help. My fellow heroin addict friend and I took drugs together a lot. Each one of us wanted to get better, wanted to be rid of the clutches of the addiction – but neither of us could ever get that far. So, we always helped each other because we both knew better than anybody else what the other one was going through! The pain; the craving; the desperation!

We had a plan. I would sneak out of the house. Put money in the postbox. He would come and pickup the money, get the drugs and drop them off. This routine he skillfully completed on a regular basis, sometimes 2 or 3 times on one day. Very often I got the baggie of heroin, other times he prepared it beforehand and I just got the needle – ready for injection.

It was a Saturday and the same events were set in motion. I sneaked out and put the money in the postbox. My parents usually work in the garden on Saturdays which made the possibility of being caught out so much greater. I phoned my friend. Sometimes I didn’t have my phone and used the landline or on odd occasion I sent a SMS over the internet – but we found some way of communicating. He always took his time, or maybe I was just being an impatient drug addict, I don’t know. The mere 20, 30, 40 minutes it took him felt like days. Days and days of relentless pain while anticipating the arrival of the drugs.

My mother came into the house. She heard a noise outside. My heart skipped a beat. I looked out the window and saw my dad outside. My mom said she could have sworn she heard an animal, probably kittens, outside somewhere. I can’t remember exactly where they found them… but I know it was close to the postbox.


... Concludes tomorrow

0 comments: