Day 92/15 – “Five Letter Word (Part 1)”

Friday, 23 February 2007 – Day 92/15 – “Five Letter Word (Part 1)”

He was the clean one! Almost like he was better than the rest of us. He did something we were all trying so hard to do – he got clean from heroin!

This past Monday, 5 Months ago, my friend mentioned in the post ‘He knew’ passed away. From the time he got sick to the time he died was 8 days. It happened so quick that most of his friends didn’t even know he was in hospital. They all just got the message that he passed away.

It was in the beginning of the year and his grandmother passed away. I remember how heart broken he was at the funeral. I don’t know if he took heroin that day. With that overwhelming flood of emotions I can’t see how he could do without it.

Shortly after the funeral he decided to stop. He booked himself into a medical centre and got the right treatment and medicine. They had him locked up for two weeks. Of course, heroin doesn’t let go willingly and I heard he tried to smuggle some heroin in. Whether he succeeded, I don’t know but he got out a few weeks later completely clean.

Three months passed and he was visiting a friend one night, one who was also trying to quit heroin. I presume that the two addicts together lead to the inevitable and they used heroin just one more time. The next day they used again and again the day after that.

I don’t know about other people, but for the people in my heroin circle it was always true. You could use for 2 consecutive days and you’d probably feel bad the 3rd day, but if you used the 3rd day as well – you were back at square one. The days, weeks, months or years you were clean meant nothing.

I didn’t see him much during that period, so I never really knew much of his drug habits. It was only on occasion that I saw him drive away from the dealer just as I was approaching but we never really talked. Heroin slowly drives you into your own little world where there is place for only heroin and yourself.

I can’t remember how we got together that day but we were at this house and we took heroin. We ended up talking a lot about what happened the past few months. He told me how much he was using every day and I was shocked. I thought that the 2-3 baggies of heroin I sometimes used a day was bad. He was now taking much more than that!

Part 2 continues...

0 comments: