Day 96/18 – “A blog about Heroin”

Tuesday, 27 February 2007 – Day 96/18 – “A blog about Heroin”

“What bothers me horribly - is that you can ONLY write about heroin. Are you not supposed to tell us what you do to get your mind OFF this drug addiction? I get the impression you worship this whole thing (heroin). It is ALL you can think about. Have you ever thought about doing something with your life?”

I got this e-mail this morning and I wasn’t quite sure how to respond at first. This is possibly because I can’t really argue with the fact that the blog mainly contains stories about heroin, the more I thought about it, the more I knew I would have to make an entry about it.

Scattered through the many days I have told my story, are stories about how I met someone I find attractive or how I long to find that special someone in my life. There are stories of parties of movies and braais with my parents, brother or friends. There are stories of my accomplishments or my gratitude to the people I met online. There are stories of my accident, of my fights of my work and of my play. There are even poems or stories written by other people that really touched me.

There are stories of my life now, of my life a few months ago and dreams of how I would like my life to be in the future. They are stories of a guy that got involved with heroin, how he struggled to keep his head above water and finally succeeded in doing so with help from his family and friends. They are stories of how he goes through everyday hoping he’ll remain strong and he surprises himself occasionally by the way he handles the obstacles in his path.

They are my stories – but they will forever remain the stories of a ‘Recovering Heroin Addict’. And I tell them day by day not to remind myself of heroin (because nothing will ever make me forget), I do so in the hope that the addicts out there reading this will find some inspiration and motivation in my progress and that everybody else out there will never have to start a blog called ‘My Heroin Recovery’!

0 comments: