Day 9 - "Making History"

Saturday, 2 December 2006 - Day 9 - "Making History"

When you start taking heroin it is about the high or the rush, the sense of contentment, physical relaxation or whatever kick it is you get out of it. Unfortunately it is inevitable that your body gets a tolerance towards the drug and you end up using much more to get the same effect. Soon after I started taking heroin I found myself having to take 2-3 times a day. I was literally dependent on a little baggy from a Nigerian Dealer to be able to function.

In telling my story and looking back at those times – even if they are a little more than a week ago – I feel great satisfaction that I am managing to break away from that life. My story obviously didn’t start nine days ago. This fight has been going on for almost a year and a half. During that time I’ve seen countless Day 1’s, Days 3’s and even saw a few Day 7’s – but today on Day 9, I can celebrate something totally unique. I have since injecting heroin the first time – never been clean longer than 8 days! Today, I make history on my ‘Day 9’.

I celebrate today because I’ve pushed myself further than I’ve been able to do before. But I still continue this journey cautious remembering that forgetting the power heroin has on my life, has kept me from this day many times. Even my parents are still skeptical about my sincerity. I have after all been manipulating them for over a year. Every time when they think I am making progress I shock them with the awful truth again.

Heroin detox takes approximately 9-14 days for your body and mind to finally get clarity. So, I have literally not been myself in over a year. Being able to look myself in the mirror and not see the washout heroin addict, I’ve come to know, stare back at me – is the greatest celebration of it all!